Sun ‘n Sand Resort – a truly historic property – is the last of many farm resorts in South Haven dating back to the 1920s. It was owned and operated by Max and Lena Weinstein during the summer vacation era when South Haven was known as the “Catskills of the Midwest”. The property was purchased in the early 1950’s by their daughter, Claire and her husband, Harold Wolf, who changed the name to the Sun ‘n Sand Motel.
In the decades that followed, the Wolfs transformed the property from a single entry, community bath, hotel style resort to a facility featuring rooms with private baths and private entries off from decks for sitting and enjoying nature. They built a wonderful reputation for the property not only as a place with lovely accommodations but also as an all inclusive resort featuring three Kosher meals a day and nightly entertainment.
Their son, Jim Wolf, joined the family business and initiated superb dining at the Seawolf Restaurant featuring live lobster and other seafood specialties not otherwise available in a small town like South Haven. The resort was sold and eventually taken out of operation in the 2000s.
The resort reopened in 2011, and gained the rating as the No. 1 place to stay in South Haven on TripAdvisor.com in its first season of operations.